Friday, July 31, 2009

Bless the Broken Road

This is not normally a song that I would stop on. It's sweet, but it's been way overplayed in my world and I am tired of it.

Despite the tiredness of the song, I know it's the one because the moment that it came on, I realized with a start that I was about 20 miles further from town that I'd thought. The road might not be broken, but I sure was! This is a drive that I've made literally hundreds of times.

As trite as it may sound, this song really describes my relationship with my husband (Scott) when we first met. He was in the middle of a divorce and was pretty badly hurt by his lying cheating soon to be ex. We met working in the mall about two months after she left him, and where he was ready to date he wasn't ready for anything serious.

We dated, we were friends, we broke up and we made up for years. I knew he was the 'one' long before he did, but he was afraid to trust and love again. I was patient and waited, knowing that if I did there was something amazing in store for me. I knew that it was right and remained doggedly determined.

Determination is a wonderful trait, and one that I know I will need to rely heavily on in this new chapter of my life. The job market is brutal out there. I will be battered and bruised, much like how my heart felt battered and bruised as Scott and I stumbled through dating. I need to stay strong and trust my instincts.


(Ironically, as I type this tonight, Scott's Pandora is playing Steven Bishop's "It Might Be You" - the soundtrack of my life continues on)

1 comment: