Thursday, July 30, 2009

Rocking Me Like a Hurricane

Cruising up I39 near mile marker 148 the Scorpions were Rocking Me Like a Hurricane. I'm a good 80's girl and was moving to the music.

I am in the right lane, trying to ignore the van up ahead of me who is chilling in the left lane. Not passing anyone yet, just hanging out. It's a pet peeve, but I am a kinder gentler Tricia, remember?

Mr Van and I are coming up behind a semi in the right lane (where you belong when you aren't passing). I know that Mr Van is going exactly 64.9 miles per hour, and I do not want to hang out behind them for the next few minutes while they work their way around the semi truck who is going 64.8 miles per hour. I speed up to about 77 and sneak in front of Mr Van.

The moment rocks me (like a hurricane), and I realize how entrenched I am in my own habits and the past. Big change is going to require a Big Effort and Big Patience. Not only patience in others, but patience in myself.

As I think, I realize how intertwined my life is with music, especially music from the 1980's and earlier. I've always privately thought that my life had or needed a soundtrack. Maybe now is my chance to find my soundtrack. Reflect on who I was, who I am and who I want to be. I ponder this, tossing the idea around in my head, as I continue northbound on I39.

I am a pretty intolerant radio patron. I flip around and am constantly searching for my favorite songs. The Scorps were done rocking me, and I didn't care for the next song. I flip around looking for another favorite.

The opening beats of Hall and Oats' Rich Girl speak to me, and I settle in for a listen...

1 comment:

  1. There was a play on Broadway when I was a kid, called The Fifth Of July. The commercial on TV featured some of the gag lines, including a mother imploring her grown son to "take HUMAN bites!".

    When you are trying to effect a behavioral change, think of it like tapas - smaller portions at a sitting make for easier transitions and all but guarantee success. And remember to take human bites!

    Tink *~*~*

    ReplyDelete